Monday, December 19, 2011

Birth Story Part 3


Our little girl, even before she was completely birthed was making noises. She cried a lot. Once my cord stopped pulsing Cayden was going to cut the cord but was scared that he would hurt the baby so Curtis cut the cord.

After I birthed the placenta I continued to bleed. I was already pretty tired but I sure was getting exhausted. Crimson kept crying so Cassidy took her and was a wonderful help and finally got her to calm down. I went into labor anemic with a pretty low iron storage. As I continued to lay there, having Cassidy hold Crimson I continued to bleed. The midwives were giving me a whole bunch of different herbs to try to get the blood to slow down but I don’t think it was working. I lost about 4 cups of blood after the placenta and continued bleeding for quite a while. Suzie my midwife gave me two shots of Pitocin and then some pill as well to slow down the bleeding. During this whole time Crimson was crying. As she was crying I was starting to have the fear that she was going to be another Catheryn baby who cried all day and all night. I also was so tired from bleeding that I really didn’t want to hold Crimson. Cassidy did such a great job. The midwives would give me the baby but then I would pass her off. I really just wanted to sleep.





Suzie our midwife




Any time I would move I could feel a big amount of blood squirt out. Sorry for the description but squirt is what comes to mind. The bleeding was slowing down that I was told to go the bathroom. When I went to the bathroom 3 large clots of blood came out which after I passed them the bleeding slowed down dramatically. I then got into an herb bath and just sat there for a while. It is so nice just to relax in a warm bath. I soon got back into bed and was able to just rest. The midwives packed up their stuff and went home around 5:30am. They wanted to make sure that my bleeding was under control before leaving me.

We sent the kids all back to bed. Catheryn woke up at some point during all of this and was excited to see the new baby. We were all eager to get to bed so we could get some sleep before Canyon woke up. I don’t think that I ever went to sleep. Curtis’ mom called at 6:30 in the morning to tell us that school was cancelled because of the foot of snow that dumped that night. So she was the first to know that we had a baby!





We called my mom around 9:30 in the morning to tell her that we had a baby and she offered to come get the kids and watch them so Curtis and I could get some much needed rest. I am so grateful for all the wonderful family members and friends that have helped with our children and have brought food.

With so much blood lost I have had a very slow recovery compared to other births. I couldn’t stand up for the first day or so. I would have to crawl to the bathroom or I would feel like I would pass out. A week after the birth I easily tire. It is a hidden blessing to be on bed rest for three days after having a baby because I actually stayed in bed to heal. I didn’t even think to get out of bed for anything besides bathroom breaks. I feel that I have healed much faster because I have been in bed. My amazing husband has really taken over and helped out with the kids. He has the next two weeks off and is such a great help.




All the kids with early in the morning


Crimson is still a crier but is doing better. Last night she was up from midnight till 3 just screaming nothing would soothe her. Her tummy is hurting her and I wish I could make it better. I am taking things out of my diet to see if that helps with her tummy. I hope that we can find out what is bothering her little tummy. She is such a blessing in our lives. I love this little girl so much. It is amazing how you can love someone so much and you are just meeting them. Crimson is such a beautiful baby and we are grateful that she is blessing our home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you were able to rest. I love that mom called at 6:30 to announce the snow day - I guess you had her beat with the story of a new grand daughter! :) I am so happy that Crimson is here and healthy - I hope her tummy feels better soon! I love you guys!

Anonymous said...

...Tressa again. :)