Monday, December 19, 2011

Birth story Part 2


While getting the kids ready for bed the contractions had almost stopped. I was starting to get worried that maybe this baby wasn’t coming or it might come in the middle of the night. If you know me very well I need my sleep and middle of the night really wasn’t an option to me.

To speed things up Curtis and I got our boots, coat and hats on and went walking. We do not live in a flat area at all so it was a little more like hiking. We went up our road, down it and up again. We received a phone call from Stella one of the midwives telling up that Canyon was in her crib crying so we hurried back home and I went and check on Canyon and just brought her down stairs. Canyon hung out with us for a while, while we talked about the game plan. I let the midwives know that it was 10pm and it was already at least an hour past my bed time and I would like things to pick up because I am tired and I don’t want to be up all night. After we talked they checked me and I was at a 7. They gave me some herbs to help intensify the contractions and told me to take a shower in hopes that it would help stimulate the contractions. When I got out of the shower I thought wow I am tired. So I told Curtis that I am just going to take a nap and go from there because this baby might not be coming for a while. I wasn’t feeling any strong contractions the whole time they felt wimpy and I wasn’t sure if they were really doing anything.

So Curtis and I lay down and he falls asleep and I just lay there as finally the contractions pick up in intensity. I remember looking at the clock at it was around 1ish and that is when the contractions started with a little more intensity. They were coming every so often but there were strong enough where I was breathing through them.

At 2:15 they were a lot more intense. We talked about that it was getting close to get the kids up. This part and the time line is a little fuzzy but Cassidy and Cayden were up in our room by 2:30am. Catheryn said that she was too tired and wanted to go back to sleep. We told Cayden to go the bathroom because he missed Canyons birth because he ran downstairs to go the bathroom and by the time he came back Canyon was born. So he hurried off to go the bathroom. I was standing at the end of the bed and felt like I was getting ready to push. As I was barring down during a contractions my water broke. Next contraction I pushed and felt the head crowning. I stated this and they told me to climb up in bed to push the baby out. I thought are you crazy!!! You want me to climb up in bed while I had a head hanging out. It really wasn’t hanging out but it sure felt like it. So with a group effort I managed to climb up in our bed which is at the height of my hip. So it is a tall bed. When I get up in bed I start to push again. When I was pushing I started thinking this really hurts way more this time than the last time I did this. When I was laying on my back I remember asking. .. How many more pushes do you think I have to do. I needed something to work towards because it sure was hurting a whole bunch of a lot!!! Well I didn’t have to push very many more times. I probably only pushed maybe 4 or 5 more times and out comes this baby with her fist on her cheek. That was why it hurt so much more this time. It wasn’t just a head I had to open up for but a little fist as well.

Curtis was going to deliver Our baby but in the heat of the moment he decided to stay and be by me while I was pushing. Cassidy and Cayden were very excited to watch the birth. They stood at the end of the bed and Curtis said that they had pure excitement in their eyes while this little body was coming out.

As this baby lay on my tummy Cassidy and Cayden come over to the side of bed and Cassidy got to tell us if it was a boy or girl. First she says it’s a boy!! Then she moves the umbilicord and says no it’s a girl. And the face of Caydens just drops and his eyes get watery. He was so hoping for a brother. Later we find out that he went to the closet and cried. It broke my heart to see his face.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Yay!!! Happy baby, sounds like an amazing time! Love you Carolyn!

Anonymous said...

I love birth stories, especially home births! (had several myself)
Congratulations! Great job!

Anonymous said...

You did it! Great job Carolyn!!!