Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Patch and Prick Allergy Test

So as you can see here, this is Canyons allergy patch test. Each of the little white circles have food on them. It is taped on the back on Monday removed on Wednesday and read on Thursday. All the little purple dots under the patch is where she was pricked. The prick test is more for anaphylactic possibilities. The patch is non anaphylactic allergies. Both tests test for the same foods. So Canyon was negative to all prick tests but positive to quite a few of the patch.
So this is what Canyon's back looked like Wednesday night. She already has a skin rash all over but you can see where she really reacted to some of the foods.
Here is a close up of the reaction.

So her list of allergies that she tested positive to are:
dairy, egg, wheat, barley, rye, oat, soy and peanut.

Since I am nursing I will be taking all of these things out of my diet and hopefully it will help with her body rash. My other kids have not had a problem with body rashes, but very fussy and screaming. Canyon does do her share of crying when I have dairy. I took dairy out of my diet when she was two days old thinking it was bothering her and it made a big difference. Every once in a while I will go and eat something with dairy and then Canyon is vomiting and screaming, so not worth it. It is easy for me to think..... if I eat this it will cause pain to my child.
I feel really okay with what she tested positive to. It really isn't that different than what I did with Catheryn. I just am happy to know.

Many people think I can be overwhelmed with my children and their allergy issues but it is part of our lives. I have been dealing with food allergies with my children for almost 4 years. It is not hard at all. It is just a way of life. Yes we don't buy pre made food we eat fresh fruit and veggies and very healthy food. My children have no problem eating a meal with all veggies. Cooking dinner may take longer at times and some days I just look at my kitchen thinking what can I cook tonight. But I think every mother has days like that.
Posted by Picasa
I just thought that I would add a picture of our dinner the other night. It was so goood. It had lots of different veggies and the kids loved it. Then I made whole wheat french bread. Which I can not eat any more but I am sure I will find some gluten free french bread I can make

1 comment:

Sarah and Chris said...

I don't know if you were aware of the fact but Betty Crocker now makes gluten free cakes! There also is a gluten free french bread mix from Gluten Free Pantry. Peggy bought some and she loves it. They also make brownies. I like them lots!