Thursday, November 12, 2009

Alaska Birthing

So I haven't written in a while and feel like it is about time. We have been very busy the last month with vomiting and diarrhea, so to say the least I have not had much time on my hands and not much to write about, besides stuff you really don't want to read about.

But I do have some exciting news. We are going to have a home birth if all works out. We have been seeing a midwife in Anchorage and she just recently told us she does not feel comfortable delivering in Eagle River in the winter. Which it is about 20 minute drive to the hospital. I have been having a hard time with this because this most likely will be our last child and I was really wanting my last delivery at home. We have done 2 at the hospital, 1 at a birthing center with this midwife and now I am ready for the home birth. So just last week I switched midwives. I love our new one and am excited to have her assist in the birth of our child. She lives here in Eagle River which is a bonus since I have a history of going fast. So now my appointments are here in town and I don't have to drive 30 minutes to my appointments and I have a midwife that is wonderful and has been delivering babies at homes for 22 years.

So I am very excited for this little adventure and thought that I would share.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

That's excellent! So glad you're going to get your home birth. Yay!

SarahJane said...

Yay! Good for you! When I told A (and my mom) back in June that you were pregnant, I said, "I bet they do a homebirth this time"!

Jennifer said...

I am so happy for you. I had the first three at home (I am sure you remember the first), and I was really disappointed that the forth, and last was an emergency transfer to the hospital. Home birthing is the best. I hope your experience is wonderful.

Becca said...

congrats on getting the home birth! i wish i could be there for it! :)

Sarah and Chris said...

Hi Carolyn! That is great that you get to do a home birthing. I know that you really wanted to do it so I am glad that it worked out for you. I am hoping that next time I am strong enough to go to a birthing center instead of the hospital. I don't think I would do the home birthing though... Cant wait to see you in a week!