Tuesday, September 9, 2008

conversation with my children

This is a conversation I had with Cassidy and Cayden as I put them to bed the night of September 8, 2008. Cassidy, "Daddy, are you going to be here tomorrow when we wake up?" Daddy, "No, I have to go to work tomorrow." Cayden, "Why do daddy's have to go to work?" Daddy, "Who likes to eat food?" Children, "Me." Daddy, "Who likes to have a place to sleep?" Children, "Me." Cassidy, "Who likes to have pillows to sleep on?" Others, "Me." Daddy, "Who likes to go camping?" Children, "Me." Daddy, "Who likes to ride bikes?" Children, "Me." Cayden, "Who likes to wear helmets?" others, "Me." Daddy, "All of these things and activities cost money. I go to work and do a job for which I am paid money. We use that money to pay for these things and activities. This is one of the ways that I show my love for my family." Cayden, "Daddy, mommy has money in her purse so you don't need to go to work anymore." Daddy, "I'll discuss with mommy tonight to see how much money she has, to see if I can quit going to work." Cassidy, "Daddy, if we stopped buying things, then you wouldn't have to go to work anymore." Daddy, "You are right, if we didn't buy anything, then I wouldn't have to work. I will talk with mommy about this possibility also. I would love to not have to work. I would rather stay home and play with you and mommy. I love you children very much. I am grateful that you are my children. Goodnight." Children, "Goodnight daddy."

4 comments:

Dana said...

We had the same conversation with my boys a few months ago. Carson even made paper money so Dad didn't have to go to work anymore. Funny how much kids think alike.

Becca said...

your kids know what you do and now appreciate you so much more for what you do every day. thanks for being such a great dad for your kids, curtis!

Sarah and Chris said...

ahhhh That's cute! Its a good thing Curtis is a nice person and didn't put sarcasm into his responses. Just out of curiosity how much money do you have in your purse?

Carolyn Townsend said...

I only had 7 dollars in my purse. Not to much to live off of.