Thursday, March 5, 2009

Our Hawaiian Vacation

Well we are back to the normal life. After a 9 day vacation in Hawaii without kids it is nice to be home with them. Curtis and I had a lot of fun. We got to sleep through the night, get out of bed when ever we wanted and got to vacation at our pace and not our children's pace. We are now back with Cayden and Catheryn with the flu. They are spewing from both ends. Catheryn started on Sunday when her amazing Aunt Becca and Uncle Shawn were watching all the kids. We got back on Tuesday and Cayden started erupting last night. I am sure Becca was glad that we are back to take care of our kids in this stage.

We got to Maui the 22 of February and stayed till the 27th, took the super ferry "barf barge" to Oahu and then stayed on the North shore till the 2nd of March. It was a nice relaxing vacation but I really wish it would have been much warmer. It was in the low 70's and very windy and overcast on many days. We did have a couple of sunny days that we were able to go to the beach and not freeze.
On our first day we got a little bit of beach time in but mostly drove around because it was overcast, not much sun to keep us warm with the wind and found this remote hike. We thought it was really need where it lead us. It was suppose to be to a spring but it was dried up.



We drove to the north side of Maui close to Hana, and went hiking on the volcano rock. It was so amazing. We were able to be close to the cliffs and watch the waves crash against the coast. I was a little close and had a wave come over me and the camera. Don't worry the camera is okay, thanks to Curtis' fast acting of drying it and taking the battery off. I was soaked.


This was one of the windy days that we went to the beach. It was one of our last days in Maui and I wanted to get a little more sun. We lasted about an hour which wasn't to bad when we were being pelted with sand.


This is Curtis and I ate the Crater in Maui. It was windy and in the 50's so I was kind of cold. I was glad that we were dressed for it. I just wish I would have brought my hat and gloves. I left them at our apartment.

Here is a picture of us getting ready to board the ferry. There were lots of people throwing up and I was almost one of them but I kept my head on the table and closed my eyes praying that the rough seas would end soon.

This is a place on Oahu North Shore that we went Snorkeling at. It was a pretty neat place, lots of fish and other sea creatures. This is the same day that we went to a beach and Curtis tried out boggy boarding and bruised his rib on his first try. I was not very interested in trying because I was to cold to go swimming so I stayed and watched him get trashed by a wave. He is holding up alright. He is just glad that he can walk. Someone we talked to told us his friend became a paraplegic on the beach we went to. Big waves are not for beginners.
This was our Sunday activity. We walked around the Laie Temple and then went in the Visitor Center. Curtis is dressed in his Sunday clothes but it was to windy for me to walk to the center and wear a skirt.



And here is our last day on Oahu. We stopped by Pearl Harbor and looked around. It was amazing to me how many U.S. subs were built and sunk during WWII.

We had a blast it was really nice to get away and have time with each other. We didn't even talk about our kids at all during our trip until Sunday and we left Monday night. We are glad to be home together as a family again. I can't wait for our next vacation to see some sun. I only hope next time it would be a little warmer and not so windy.

A huge thanks to Becca and Shawn for making this trip possible. We have been planning this trip for over a year. I asked Becca over a year ago if she would watch our kids so we could go on vacation. They were great even with a sick baby.
Thanks Becca and Shawn, and the other family members that helped, Bethany, Mom and Dad.

3 comments:

Carolyn Townsend said...

wow, Carolyn. it sure looks like you had lots of fun with your amazing husband. that was sure nice of you to take him along with you on your dream Hawaiian vacation. thank you for posting pictures and describing your time there. can't wait to hear about future vacations you are planning.

Jennifer said...

Even if it was a bit on the colder side, I am way jealous of your Hawaiian vacation. I can't wait till Gwen is done breastfeeding and we can leave all the kids with family for a little vacation of our own. I loved all the pictures. And don't worry, I am sure if you come down to Phoenix in June for that V-ball tournament that it will be plenty warm.

Amy Allred said...

I am so JEALOUS!!! I want to go to Hawaii sometime. You are very blessed to have such a great family to watch your kiddos. Looks like you had a blast!