The Fur Rondy Festival is a significant part of the history and tradition of Anchorage dating back to the 1930s. The World Championship Sled Dog Race debuted in 1946 and has become the cornerstone event of the Festival bringing teams of sled dogs and mushers to Anchorage from across Alaska and all over the world. I remember watching these races as a kid and wanted to share that with my children. My mother lives within walking distance of a portion of the race route. We met up with my mother to go and watch the races.
Guess who got to pull these two girls in the sled? Their dad was the 'dog' for the day. I have great envy of the dogs in this event. The fastest teams run this 25 mile course in 90 minutes. This is an average speed of 4 minute miles. The fastest human runner completes a marathon, 26.2 miles, in a little over 2 hours. My goal for a marathon is to complete it under 4 hours. I have great respect for these dogs.
My mother and our oldest daughter.
My son is a ninja. I love this kid and am so grateful that he is my son.

1 comment:
i love seeing these pictures and knowing that your kids are being raised in the same beautiful place that we were. i miss alaska and yet- these pictures are making me shiver. :) Tressa
Post a Comment